Who doesn’t love caramel corn? This is a recipe from my childhood days that my mother and I made often.
Let me tell you, it’s really hard not to eat the whole batch in one sitting.
Homemade Microwave Caramel Corn
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/4 cup white corn syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3-4 quarts popped corn (you can easily use homemade microwave popcorn)
- Combine first four ingredients in a 1 1/2 quart pot on the stove.
- Bring just to a boil, then stir in soda.
- Remove from heat.
- Put half of the popped corn in a brown grocery bag.
- Pour half of the caramel mixture on top, then alternate with more popcorn and the remainder of the caramel mixture.
- Close the bag and shake, shake, shake! I had some helpers for this part.
- Cook on high in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove from microwave, stir or shake it well once again*** and then return to the microwave for about 1 more minute.
- Pour into a pan and allow to cool (if you can wait!)
***Lesson Learned: Lest I became too convinced I had this recipe mastered, some of the caramel corn decided to burn itself to an inedible crisp. The next batch I shook even longer and stirred with a spatula before putting it in the microwave for it’s second round.
Here’s what it looks like when done correctly. Soft and chewy caramel goodness! Hope you enjoy!
This post is linked at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam’s Tasty Tuesday.