Finding time as a mom during the day to fit everything is, can be challenging on many aspects. But as the number of children in your family grows, it starts to seem impossible to find quality time with each of your children individually. With so much going on during your day and week, is it realistic to have quality time with each child?
I’ve learned over the years that it is possible, but you’ve got to make it a priority and a learn to be creative at times to fit in special time with every child.
- Make a special day. Find a day of the week and make it that particular kids “special” day. If mom is going to the store or running some type of errand, then that child will get to go with you by themselves.
- Set aside prayer time. Pick a day of the week and assign to one child for a special prayer time with mom. (example: Monday- Johnny Tuesday-Susie etc.) It might not be hours with them a lone but it’s about the quality that matters. Time alone with you, them and God.
- Let them pick the fun. Have a once a month or every other month where they get to choose something they would like to do with you. You’ll be surprise in what some of them pick.
- Be flexible. There are going to be days or weeks when things just happen and you might not be able to fit it all in. Learn to be flexible and maybe put it on a different day or week.
- Learn to be creative. This is the fun part! Taking a walk, going through their favorite drive-thru, going to run errands, making a craft together, going out for a donut and hot chocolate, etc. (you get the idea) Remember it doesn’t need to be hours, it might just be 30 minutes!
- Make it a priority. With anything that is important to you, it’s got to be a priority. When things are a priority, you make the time to do them. Sometimes we all have good intentions but it’s another to put stuff on the calendar and just do it!
There will be times and seasons that it’s not possible to do this every week or maybe a certain season that is just a bit unusual, but you can always fit in time for prayer with them before they go to bed. Since I have 7 kids right now, (soon to be 8) I divide my days for each day of the week. Monday I start with my oldest, Tuesday the 2nd oldest and so on.
Each family is different in it’s size and circumstances, but as the mom you just need to be creative and purposeful in making those connections!
All in all, it’s not the big things in life that make the most impact, but it’s the little special moments when you connect with your child’s heart is what makes all the difference. When they know that this time is special to you, it’s something they will look forward to and will remember for years to come!
Jennifer has been married to her high school sweet heart for 18 + years and God has blessed them with 7 (soon to be 8 ) wonderful children to raise for Him.