Pray for your babies even before they arrive! Cherish these 21 Bible verses you can pray over your unborn child, for their health, spiritual well-being and more!
When you’re expecting, there’s a LOT to do to get ready for baby’s arrival!
And as a Christian mom, part of preparing ourselves for a new little one is spending time in prayer for our baby’s health and spiritual well-being.
A couple of months ago, I was convicted that I wasn’t spending much time in prayer for our fourth baby specifically.
We included the baby in prayers for our family but I wanted to be more intentional about speaking Scripture over my unborn child!
I spent some time looking through my Bible and using Bible Gateway to find some beautiful passages that speak precious promises and God’s truth over our baby from both the Old and New Testament.
I’ll share them with you in a moment, but first, know that you can certainly pray these over all of your children, as we know that the Word of God accomplishes the purpose for which it was sent (Isaiah 55:11-12) and that Scripture prayed over your family has great power.
3 Tips for Praying Over Your Unborn Baby
How do I pray for my unborn baby? That was the question I got from a reader that inspired this post many years ago.
Whether this is your first pregnancy or your fourth, below are three quick tips for how you can specifically pray for your unborn child.
1) Pray by repeating words of Scripture over your child.
For instance, one of the verses I am using is 2 Peter 3:18 – “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.”
So I might say something like this: “Lord, please help my baby (say their name if you’ve already decided!) to grow in the grace and knowledge of Jesus. Thank you that you have all the glory and honor and that you will give our child the gift of faith to know you forever. Amen.”
2) Praise God for your baby’s life!
Thank Him specifically for the blessing of a baby and the work He will do in you through your child’s life. Your child is in God’s hands and that is the best place for him or her to be. We can trust in the ways of God. He values human life and your child is the crowning glory of creation!
In those early stages of pregnancy as this new life grows, you will probably experience exhaustion, morning sickness and anxiety. We can be assured of God’s promises and God’s mercy in our life and the tiny life we are carrying!
3) Ask God to help you raise your child with wisdom.
James 1:5 tells us that if we ask for wisdom, God will give it to us! I find that it’s so important to continually pray for wisdom as we parent this sweet little person who we will grow to love more each day.
photo credit: freedigitalphotos/David Castillo Dominici
I’ve also created a free printable with the verses I chose in case you would like to print it out and have it nearby when you have prayer time. It’s an 8×10 so you could trim and frame it or put it in a page protector as is.
Further down this post, you’ll also find a link to download some printable prayer cards with these verses.
They are a mix of NASB, NKJV and ESV verses.
You could use these at night before bed and can include your older children in praying these over the baby during devotions, which is what we did!
They are wonderful for memorization as well and can easily be used in a two-week cycle.
Print out and share with a group of moms so they can pray these powerful words of Scripture over their unborn babies as well.
Below are the verses I chose to pray over your unborn child, feel free to look them up in your favorite version!
21 Bible Verses to Pray Over Your Unborn Baby
1. Psalm 139:13-14 – For You created my inmost being, You knit me together in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks to you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well.
2. Philippians 1:6 – For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in your will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
3. Psalm 127:3-5 – Behold, children are a gift of the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; They will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate.
4. 3 John 4 – I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.
5. Isaiah 54:13 – All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children.
6. Psalm 90:17 – Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us; and confirm for us the work of our hands; yes, confirm the work of our hands.
7. 2 Peter 3:18 – But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.
8. Psalm 138:8 – The Lord will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O Lord, endures forever; do not forsake the works of Your hands.
9. 2 Thessalonians 3:3 – But the Lord is faithful, and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.
10. Colossians 2:2 – That their hearts may be encouraged, having been knit together in love, and attaining to all the wealth that comes from the full assurance of understanding, resulting in a true knowledge of God’s mystery, that is, Christ Himself.
11. Titus 3:5-6 – He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior.
12. Psalm 37:23 – The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way.
13. Psalm 145:4 – One generation shall praise Your works to another, and shall declare Your mighty acts.
14. 1 Samuel 1:27 – For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition which I asked of Him.
15. Luke 18:15-16 – Now they were bringing even infants to him that he might touch them. And when the disciples saw it, they rebuked them. But Jesus called them to him, saying, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.
16. Psalm 139:15-16 – My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
17. Ecclesiastes 11:5 – As you do not know the way the spirit comes to the bones in the womb of a woman with child, so you do not know the work of God who makes everything.
18. James 1:17 – Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
19. Psalm 91:1-2 – He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.
20. 2 Thessalonians 1:11-12 – With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may bring to fruition your every desire for goodness and your every deed prompted by faith. We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
21. Job 10:10-12 – You clothed me with skin and flesh, and knit me together with bones and sinews. You have granted me life and steadfast love, and your care has preserved my spirit. Yet these things you hid in your heart; I know that this was your purpose. When I was in my mother’s womb, you knew me, and before I was born you set me apart.
This last bonus Bible verse is for you as a pregnant mother as you await the arrival of this sweet little life and pray for a safe delivery.
22. Isaiah 26:3 – You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you because he trusts in you.
You’ll notice almost half of them are from the Psalms. I love how the poetry and promises of this book of the Old Testament!
Your child is created in the image of God. What an amazing truth! These Bible verses are a beautiful and effective way to pray God’s blessing over your child’s life, from the moment of conception to the day your little baby arrives.
There are many, many verses you can pray over your unborn children, so if you have a verse I haven’t mentioned that you currently pray over your children, please feel free to mention it in the comments.
Below is the original version of this printable when I had only 14 verses. It fits on one page.
To get the original 14 verses printable, just click here. A Dropbox page will open. You do not have to sign up for Dropbox, just X out if there are any sign-up boxes and you should be able to download the file directly to your computer. It’s safe, I promise! :)
UPDATED: 21 Bible Verses for Your Unborn Baby
I’ve created an updated two-page PDF with the 21 Scriptures for praying over your unborn child.
Click THIS LINK to download it securely to your device. It is free!
Would you like the Scriptures on beautiful printable prayer cards in addition to the one-page printable?
They are available to my email subscribers along with all the other printables in our free resource library, designed to help you have grace-filled confidence as a Christian mom in building a strong, faithful family!